Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hope is a Hard Habit to Break

Scripture: Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. Luke 2:25

Observation: All I know about Simeon is one thing: He was holding on to hope. The only thing on his “bucket list” was to see the comfort of his people by the arrival of the Messiah. And at the end of his life, as he was ready to depart this world, he got to hold the hope of the world in his hands.
Hope is a hard habit to break, when you have been waiting for years. Simeon knew that God’s promise was going to happen. He knew it to the core of his brittle bones. This drove him to get up every morning, to be devout, to be righteous, to come to the temple day after day.

Application: What am I holding out hope for? What promise or truth is always before me? One major hope is the second coming of Christ. I know he is coming back. He will return. I do not know when, or even if my eyes will see his salvation in my lifetime. But he is coming back. So what does this hope hold for me? How am I devout and righteous, full of the Spirit? Does this promise motivate me to be a man like Simeon, waiting on the Lord?

Prayer: God, today I want to think about your return. Develop in me a longing and a hope for your return. Let me become a man of expectant hope, like Simeon. Help me to hold on..

No comments: