Thursday, April 29, 2010

And I Was Gentle Today

Scripture: And I was gentle today, though anointed king. 2 Samuel 3:39

Observation: Abner, in a fit of passion, decides to abandon the house of Saul and give that kingdom to David. All because Saul's son disrespects him. Joab, in a fit of passion, kills Abner with a punch to the gut. All because Abner had murdered his brother.
David, in a restraint of passion, holds a national funeral for his enemy Abner, where he calls him a “prince” and a “great man.”
Two men let their passions get out of control. One man chooses compassion over passion, gentleness over his gut.

Application: I love the word passion. I think all people ought to be fired up and driven by passion in life. But my passions will either be my downfall, or they will be under my dominion. I will be undone by passion or chose to be gentle. Passion out of control can lose kingdoms and curse families, leaving legacies of pain. Passion in control and tempered by gentleness will win the day.

Prayer: God, may I go to bed tonight saying, “And I was gentle today.” May I have the passion of David, but the restraint of gentleness.

No comments: