Wednesday, June 16, 2010

God's Mystery

Scripture: ...that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3

Observation: Paul was talking about some false teachers, who claimed to have special knowledge of the mysteries of God. Paul counters by saying the only mystery is Christ, and in him is everything we need to know.

Application: Sometimes I have nagging doubts about taking a year to explore the divine riches of Grace. I fear it is too much of a departure from our norm, that it is too theological and not as practical. That it is a focus on us and not the world we are called to reach. But then I read passages like this and it encourages me that we need to focus on Christ and what he has done for us. We need to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding of this. This will knit us together. It will propel us outward. I need to have faith and trust that the truth of God is a treasure and is more than enough for us.

Prayer: God, continue to help me focus on Christ and please prepare our hearts and minds to receive the encouragement, the unity, and the riches of searching out your divine mystery of Christ.

2 comments:

George said...

Hey Thomas. How true. We focus on our favorite systematic theology or philosophy, and not Christ. Somehow I believe God is bigger than our finite attempts to wrap our minds the infinite God. We have this penchant for needing to understand and explain everything. I am content to live with some mystery.

Your co-laborer in the faith,
George Brown

Thomas said...

Me too, George. The older I get the more willing I am to admit I don't understand. I think in seminary I was convinced that I could one day study God out...now I think that will be what the first trillion years of heaven will be for...