Thursday, June 17, 2010

To What Do I Sell Myself?

Scripture: There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the Lord like Ahab, whom Jezebel his wife incited. (1 Kings 21:25 ESV)

Observation: God told Ahab to kill the defeated king of the Syrians. In Ahab’s mind, sparing the king and making a treaty with him seemed more profitable than obeying God. So he spared his life. Later, Ahab decided he wanted a certain vineyard. He had this man murdered so he could profit from his land. Ahab spared who needed killing and killed who needed sparing. He sold himself to do what was evil. His choices were up for bidding. Whatever would bring him profit, he did.

Application: What is my price? For what would I sell myself? Maybe money is not my price, but what about comfort, or escape? Do my ends justify my means? How do I rationalize decisions in spite of God’s word? Ahab was able to come up with all kinds of reasons why his way was better than God's, but in the end, he simply sold out.

Prayer: Lord, let me not be like Ahab. Help me to obey you even when my way seems better or more ‘profitable’ to me. Help me put to death what is earthly in me that I might sell myself to do what is right in your eyes.

No comments: