Monday, June 7, 2010

The Gospel Makes Us...

Scripture: This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel. Ephesians 3:6

Observation: Paul is explaining to his gentile audience about his calling to them. He says he is a gift to them, to help them see who they are in Christ. He goes into detail to explain that even though they are not Jews, they are able to be rightly related to God. These gentiles might have struggled to believe that they were truly the great men and women of God the gospel said they were. They could have felt second rate, or inferior. Paul affirms that they are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise—all because of the gospel.

Application: The gospel makes us great men and women of God. We have not yet plumbed the depths of that truth. Even Ephesians 3:6 gives us some overwhelming truths about our status before God. This is further confirmation to me that we need to spend a year at Pulpit Rock talking about what God has done to and in us through the gospel. In a small way, I feel like Paul, whose job was to present truth to a group of believers about who they truly were in Christ. I am going to be spending time today studying and preparing for this year-long series.

Prayer: God, speak to me today as I study and prepare. I want to be fully impacted by these truths before I begin to share them. Help me hear from you and put together this series.

No comments: