Monday, June 28, 2010

Scratching Itchy Ears

Scripture: For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (2 Timothy 4:3-4 ESV)

Observation: Paul warns Timothy to preach the word completely—correcting when needed, encouraging when needed. This is crucial because there is coming a day when people will turn from sound teaching to wander off into myths. That day has come. I used to think that myths referred to ‘liberal teaching.’ But the truth is, no matter the slant, any teaching that is in error is a myth. And no matter the bent, whether the teaching is licentiousness or legalistic, there will be devotees of it. This is often why people will complain or change churches. The teaching does not scratch their particular itch. They want it more grace filled, or more law filled. They want it more end-times focused or more practical focused. They often do not want to hear the word; they want to hear the word in a way they like, that scratches their itching ears.

Application: I can be like this too. I have particular teachings and teachers that scratch my itch, that I listen to. This is not necessarily wrong, but I need to be careful not to love the teacher, but to love the truth. I need to be a bigger fan of Jesus and his word, than Lewis Sperry Chafer, Craig Groeschel, or John Piper. These guys are great, but they do not have all the answers.

Prayer: God, help me love your word. Help me listen to what it says, even if it does not scratch my itch at the time. And help me be free from trying to scratch the itch of every person that comes to Pulpit Rock. Lead me to do what is right in your eyes and let the chips fall where they may.

No comments: