Sunday, June 13, 2010

Keep Moving Forward

Scripture: Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. (Philippians 3:12 ESV)

Observation: Paul wants to keep moving forward in his life with Christ. To move forward in knowing Christ, the power of his resurrection. To move forward in sharing in Christ’s suffering, and becoming like him. This right relationship with God did not come from Paul’s own efforts to keep God’s rules, but from simple faith in Christ. Even so, Paul does not want to relax and sit back—he wants to keep moving forward.

Application: My relationship with Christ is not a result of my own effort. I was never going to be “good enough.” I am righteous simply because of Christ. My faith in what he did was so much better than anything I could have tried to do. Even so, I do not want to sit back and ride this thing out. I want to engage, to move forward, to press on. Yes, I do not have to do one thing to get God to like me better. But I *want* to, not to earn God’s love, but to explore and follow more of this life called faith.

Prayer: God, help me balance faith and works in my life. Help me desire more of you and not to rest or quit or feel like I have arrived. Keep me growing and teachable and hungry for more of you.

No comments: