Monday, July 20, 2009

Cleaning My Temple July 20

Scripture: As soon as the command was spread abroad, the people of Israel gave in abundance the firstfruits of grain, wine, oil, honey, and of all the produce of the field. And they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything…Azariah the chief priest, who was of the house of Zadok, answered him, "Since they began to bring the contributions into the house of the LORD, we have eaten and had enough and have plenty left, for the LORD has blessed his people, so that we have this large amount left." 2 Chronicles 31:5,10

Observation: Hezekiah became the King of Israel when he was 25 years old. One of the first things he did was an extensive and thorough cleansing of the entire temples. Then he reorganized the temple and the different responsibilities the priests and Levites had. He was setting things back in order to the way David had it. As part of his restoration, he reinstituted the tithe God had commanded. The people responded so obediently, that there was abundance. God was able to bless his people through the obedience of other people.

Application: First, when I set about to evaluate my life, to “cleanse my temple,” I need to remember that what I do with my money and possessions matters to God. What I do with my stuff is not separate from my faith and spirituality, but an important part. Second, when God’s people obey Him in regards to how they handle money and possessions, God is able to bless others abundantly. Who is missing out on God’s blessings because of an area of disobedience in my life? Third, Hezekiah has a lot to say about leadership, and restoration. I think this passage is confirming to me that we need to really teach biblical generosity and financial responsibility to our church. If we withhold the teaching, then me, miss out on God’s blessings for us.

Prayer: God, help me reevaluate my finances—are they in order? Are you pleased with the way I spend my money and possessions? Is there anything or anyone you wish me to give to? Would you help us implement our stewardship plan, and abundantly bless us as we seek you in obedience? Amen

No comments: