Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tearing Down High Places and Pillars July 21

Scripture: He removed the high places and broke the pillars and cut down the Asherah. And he broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the people of Israel had made offerings to it. 2 Kings 18:4
“Be patient…be patient…Establish your hearts…do not grumble” James 5:7-9


Observation: The Bible so simply records these actions of Hezekiah, almost as simply as, “So Hezekiah went to buy some milk.” But behind these actions there must have been incredible opposition. If removing the high places, breaking the pillars, cutting down what had become idols were easy, anyone could have done it. I imagine the questions and challenges. There must have been many who liked the high places and pillars. Maybe even those who thought they were godly. I am sure many thought, “this is not why Hezekiah became king! I don’t think this is right.” Maybe even some who agreed in principle with the changes, but thought Hezekiah went too far or too fast. Yet Hezekiah was able to do what was right in the eyes of the Lord.

Application: Change is hard, whether it is changing an organization, changing a family, or even changing myself. Temptation is to give up, to gripe, to blame. Yet James 5 gives me the application: “Be patient…be patient…Establish your hearts…do not grumble.” As a leader of change, I must be dead sure that I am doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord. I must also be sure that the way I am going about it is also right in the eyes of the Lord. But having this does not mean it will be easy. High places and pillars, and even the sacred cow (sacred serpent??) are still around for a reason. They will take people of humility and conviction. They will take people of hope like St. Augustine wrote of: “Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage. Anger at the way things are and courage to see that they do not remain as they are.”

Prayer: God, give me your anger over the high places and pillars and bronze serpents in my life, and the life of our church. Show me what they are. Help me be driven by what is right in Your eyes. And then give me the courage to see they do not remain. Give me the patience to be patient, not grumble, and keep moving forward. With love, with grace, with humility, but with step by step progress, one pillar at a time. Thanks for Hezekiah. I cannot wait to meet him! Amen

No comments: