Monday, July 27, 2009

The Turning Point of Worship July 27

Scripture: But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. Psalm 73:16-17

Observation: David is oppressed as long as he meditates on how he feels about the prosperity of the wicked. But the turning point for him comes when he begins to meditate on who God is.

Application: Scott helped me see yesterday that this turning point is crucial. Some worship focuses on declaring who God is. Recently, there has been an emphasis on expressing how I feel in worship. Declarative vs. Expressive worship. Declarative is me stating truth about God. Expressive is me sharing my feelings. What the Psalms teach us is that both are important. I need to express how I am feeling, the good, the bad, and the ugly. BUT I MUST MAKE THE TURN. I must at some point go to the sanctuary and begin to declare who God is. A lot of contemporary worship fails at this point. Maybe it is an effort to help people feel good by expressing themselves. Maybe it is catering to the attitude of the age which says that whatever I feel is truth. Whatever the reason, they never make the turn. They miss out on the power of declaring who God is. So the music ends up being all about me and my feelings. Now, some go to the other extreme and never express, only declare. But the Psalms model for us balanced biblical worship: Express, then turn to declare. When I only declare, my worship can ring inauthentic. When I only express, my worship loses its power. Power comes from declaring who God is and what He has done. This is one way you make the Lord your refuge and strength and portion forever.

Prayer: God, help me model biblical balanced worship to my family and our church. Thank you for Scott, who I think really gets the power of declarative worship. Pray that you will unite our hearts in leading Pulpit Rock to make the turn from expression to declaration. We need it. We need to powerfully declare who You are and What You have done. I sense the yearning of our people to do more than express. We want to powerfully proclaim truth. Pray we would be free to express, and free to declare. Pray also that when we declare who You are and what You have done, that we would experience the power of lives founded on truth.

No comments: