Friday, July 24, 2009

Who is His Equal? July 24

Scripture: "To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One. Isaiah 40:25
"I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another.” Isaiah 42:8


Observation: I remember hearing a statement by John Piper a few years ago, “God is an important person who does not like being taken for granted.” I think it is getting easier and easier in this world we live to take God for granted. To begin to doubt His importance to our world. Our own advances in technology and power can delude us into thinking we do not need him. But Isaiah records what God thinks about this attitude. That He, apart from anyone else in history, is truly without equal. He alone is allowed to be called The Lord. And God will not share his glory as the One and Only with anyone else.

Application: How do I treat God as less important? How do I give his glory to others? One way is when I fail to attribute to God what is his. We just returned from a long trip, driving 5 hours each way in an old Suburban. We made it there and back again. Was this just good maintenance? Or was it God? Before our drive, as we do on every vacation, we stop and pray, asking God to guard our vehicle and protect us as we travel. Then when we pull back in our driveway, we stop and thank God for the trip. Why do I do this? Because I believe that God is the true protector of our family and I want my kids to see and learn this as well.

Prayer: God, forgive me for failing to set You apart as the One and Only, one whose power is unapproachable. The power we achieve on earth is nothing compared to the One who alone gets to be called The Lord. Today, may you remind me of your supreme superiority in all areas of life—power, holiness, authority.

No comments: