Saturday, July 18, 2009

I'm Counting on God

Scripture: You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. James 2:22-24

Observation: True faith is not simply about belief, but acting on that belief. By being not only hearers, but doers of the word. Yet some people seem afraid that one might taint and ruin the other if they are allowed to mix. I guess the fear is faith by works—that we would fall back into trying to become God’s friends by doing enough works, i.e. legalism. But if we step back and just read the passage, James is pretty clear that he is not teaching faith by works, but faith demonstrated through works. If Abraham had claimed to have faith in God, but refused to sacrifice Isaac, we would assume he really was not living by faith. There is a worship song out there right now called “I’m Counting On God.” Counting on God, living by faith, is not just a song we sing, but a life we live. Bottom line: How does offering a starving and shivering person warm words, without the action of food and blankets, helpful? It is not. How are claims of faith, without living a life that shows you are counting on God helpful? They are not. If we claim faith, we will act.

Application: God, this is a growing passion in my life. For us to be doers of the word and not hearers only. Not a return to legalism as described in Galatians. But a return to obedience as a demonstration of true faith. That we count on God by the way we live and not the way we say. For 60 years, Pulpit Rock has been known as a church that knows the Word of God. I’d like to change that. I’d like us to be known as a church that by faith, does the word of God. I need to more clearly connect faith and works from the word in the hearts of our people. I need to help people read the word, hear from God, walk by the Spirit, and do it by faith. This means to me that I need to begin discipling people using the S.O.A.P. devotional method so they can hear and obey God.

Prayer: God, help me knit faith and works together in my heart. Show me that counting on you is more than a line; it is a life. Give me wisdom to figure out how best to disciple others using S.O.A.P. And keep me ever mindful of the danger of legalism, yet the freedom of obedience. Amen

No comments: