Monday, March 15, 2010

Counting the Cost


Scripture: For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish. Luke 14:28-30

Observation: Jesus is calling people to consider carefully the cost of following him. He is asking them to evaluate their devotion to family, friends, even their own lives. Following Jesus is not a hasty endeavor, but something to be entered into with much pause.

Application: But this is so different from the gospel approach we have today. The focus is more on not considering the cost, but jumping in with both feet. I encourage people to get right with God and let discipleship sort itself out later. I just want to get them saved. But how much should people consider before they commit to Christ? Knowing that the Christian life is fueled by Spirit power and not willpower, how much *can* they commit before they come to Christ? I would hate to artificially raise the bar of salvation, and keep someone out that I deem has not considered the cost. At the same time, I do not want to promote false confession or give false sense of assurance to those who never really committed in the first place.

Prayer: God, this is a troubling passage. Would you help me see the balance of “believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved,” and “count the cost”? I want to promote Your gospel, not my version of it.

No comments: