Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Reed Shaken by the Wind


Scripture: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?” Luke 7:24

Observation: Jesus is talking about John the Baptist. He is telling the crowd that John, contrary to what they might have expected, is truly a prophet, the prophet, come to make way for Jesus. Jesus tells them this by asking some questions about who they really came to see. Did they come to see a reed shaken by the wind? Did they come to see a well-dressed man living in luxury? Or did they come to see a prophet of God? Jesus is challenging their expectations. And at the same time, he is commending John for not being a reed, flimsy and uncertain. He is commending John for not being a man living in luxury. He is commending John for being God’s man.

Application: I feel God is speaking to me this morning about my role as a pastor. Many people may have many expectations about me and who and what I should be. But I need to be God’s man. Specifically, I am struck by the reed-shaken-in-the-wind metaphor. People do not need a leader who is waffling and uncertain, who allows whatever pressure the wind blows at that moment to bend and jar him. While maintaining humility and flexibility, I want to be a man who knows his God, knows his purpose, and carries it out.

Prayer: God, give me strength to be more than a reed. To have spiritual backbone, true grit when it comes to your truth and your vision. Don’t let me allow people pleasing to shake me, but be willing to stand for your truth in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Very well said. I totally agree with your statement.
Be blessed
Debra H