Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When Jesus Saves His Breath

Scripture: “If you are the Christ, tell us.” But he said to them, “If I tell you, you will not believe, and if I ask you, you will not answer.” Luke 22:67-68

Observation: The assembly of the elders ask Jesus point blank if he is the Messiah. His answer is somewhat surprising. A simple yes or no would suffice. But Jesus is able to peer into the hearts of men. He knows that they are way past the point of belief. They are not open seekers, ready for God to move. They are closed off, committed to a course of belief that leaves no room for God to walk the earth. Jesus knows that he would be wasting his breath with these folk.

Application: Two thoughts. First, I need to realize that there are some people who are already so committed to untruth, so closed off, that the truth may not have an impact. I am not just talking about unbelievers. Sadly, I have seen believers get this way sometimes. They may become fixated on some specific of theology and unable to see the bigger picture. Or they may come to believe some misinterpretation of scripture, and are unable to be swayed. I sometimes fall into their trap, sucked in to a pointless and fruitless argument. Instead, I need to know when to do as Jesus has done, and save my breath.
Second, would there ever be times I would be this way to God? When I would be closed to his voice, and so I do not hear him speak to me? Would he ever save his breath in speaking truth to me? I need to make sure that when I ask Jesus a question, I am open to him answering it in a way I might not like.

Prayer: God, give me wisdom to know when I would waste my breath. And keep me humble and open, so you never waste yours. I pray that these 40 days have restored faith in Pulpit Rock that you still speak though your word. Show me how to keep the momentum of listening together going.

No comments: