Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do Sinners Want to Eat with Me?


Scripture: Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. Luke 15:1

Observation: Jesus was popular with the outcasts of society. While they might not have had the standing before men, they had standing before God, because they had ears to hear. This reminds me of the song “Surely God is with Us” by Rich Mullins, “The whores all seem to love him / and the drunks propose a toast.”
This was often an attack on Jesus, the company that he kept. The religious tightpants judged Jesus by the followers he attracted, grumbling that Jesus had dinner with the human refuse. But Jesus drew these people. They loved to listen to him. They loved to eat with him and laugh with him. Was it because they could more clearly see their need? Was it because they could tell he loved them? Was he so different from the religion of hate and judgment they grew up with? Did they know God was with them?

Application: Who do I draw near to me? Do I attract the already convinced, looking for comfort? Do I draw the deeply churched, looking at me to cover the checklist of theologies they hold dear? Do I draw the outcasts? Would a social outcast want to be around me because I love them and tell them stories about lost coins, recovered sheep, and returned sons? Do they want to eat with me? Do I want to eat with them?

Prayer: God, I am not sure what to pray. “Let me make friends with tax collectors and sinners”? I guess I am asking you to help me be more like Jesus. To welcome those who religion would not. To grow in me a genunine love for those who just want to hear. Help me lead our church to love the lost, but let it begin with me.

3 comments:

Chris and Jill said...

Great encouragement to get outside of the bubble it is so easy to surround ourselves with. I like Brandon Heath's song lyrics "Give me Your eyes..."

Anonymous said...

Reading what you wrote I was immediately drawn to:
10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.
11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
(Mat 9:10-13 KJV)

So... the answer is in verse 13. I searched for a long time to grasp this only to be brought over and over to encounters with the most difficult people in my life. The Lord has been merciful each time as I must learn again and again to 'see' others as He did from the cross. Forgiven, Redeemed, Restored and made new by the power of the resurrection. Though my carnal eyes may seek to deceive me, the spirit of the living God grants me sight to see what Jesus sees. Oh, Father let us see and understand the wonder of each soul we encounter, for the very blood of the Lamb has established their worth.

So, my dear friend Thomas, what would be the response of any person when I look at him/her with those eyes. Would they be drawn to me? No, but to the Christ that is within us.

Ken Davis

Thomas said...

Great stuff, Ken!