Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Willing to Untie My Colt

Scripture: If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ you shall say this: ‘The Lord has need of it. Luke 19:31

Observation: Jesus is beginning his entry into Jerusalem. As part of the preparations, he instructs the disciples to procure him a colt. Understandably, they wonder what to say when the owner of the colt demands to know why they are taking it. Jesus tells them simply to say, “The Lord has need of it.”

Application: If Jesus comes to me, asking me to untie something in my life, and I ask why, might he simply respond, “The Lord has need of it”? Are there things I am tied to in life that I would be reluctant or even unwilling to untie at Christ’s request? Does Jesus really own it all in my life, or just the things I have already untied? This week I want to be open for Christ to call for me to untie things that he needs from me.

Prayer: Jesus, I sometimes find it hard to believe that by untying things from my life at your request, I will actually be better off. Help me not hold tightly to anything, but be openhanded to you. All of my colts belong to you.

No comments: