Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Attain to The Three

Scripture: Then the three mighty men broke through the camp of the Philistines and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem that was by the gate and took it and brought it to David. But David would not drink it. He poured it out to the LORD 1 Chronicles 11:18

Observation: David, sitting in a cave near Bethlehem, muses aloud about his longing to have a drink of water from the well in Bethlehem, currently held by the Philistines. Three men, three mighty men, risk their lives to bring their commander a drink. David is so moved by this act of loyalty that he feels undeserving and pours out the water to the Lord.
David inspires such loyalty for his men that they go above and beyond the expectation to serve their king. But David is astute enough to realize that only God deserves such loyalty, and directs his men’s eyes back to God.

Application: Reading through this passage, I am pretty impressed with David’s mighty men. These guys were the Dirty Dozen of their day. Some killed lions and giants. Others killed armies with only a spear. These were heroic brothers. Yet these heroics did not enable these mighty men to attain to “The Three.” Apparently, these three men who risked life to secure the drink for David were a part of some inner circle. Perhaps loyalty to David drew them where heroic deeds had not.
I am not sure what God is saying here to me. Certainly, I want to inspire such loyalty in those I serve with. Of course, I also want to direct people to devotion to God. But I also wonder what it takes to attain to the three. What sets a man apart from simple renown, to attain to the three? I want to take some more time and think about David’s mighty men, and what God has to say to me through it.

Prayer: God, I want to be one of your mighty men. I want to serve you with devotion and loyalty. With honor and bravery. Help me grow in manhood to become Your man.

No comments: