Thursday, April 15, 2010

Won't Somebody do Something?


Scripture: For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God? 1 Sam 17:26

Observation: David is taking bread and cheese to his big brothers on the battlefield. Once there, he hears Goliath calling for someone, anyone, to come and fight him to decide the battle. David sees the armies of God fleeing in fear. When he wonders why, the people reply, “Have you seen Goliath?” Well, David had. But instead of an unconquerable giant, he saw only an uncircumcised Philistine. Instead of a physical opponent, he sees simply a man who is defy\ing God. David sees this is primarily a spiritual battle. And in that sense, the only thing he needs to “see” is that there is Goliath on one side, and God on the other. And armed with this, David decides to do something about it.

Application: I am sure David was frustrated at the armies of God quivering in defeat. He must have felt like he had fallen through the looking glass. Were the armies of God really afraid of this guy? Sure Goliath was big, but David must have wanted to scream, “Have you seen our God?” David had a bias towards action based on his belief in an Almighty God. Size didn’t matter. Sides did. And Goliath was on the wrong side; David was on the right. To David, this was no contest.
I love when people act. Especially when that action is an act in faith. What probably keeps me from acting is I am looking at Goliath and not at God. I see the flesh and blood, but not the spiritual force of God. I see the hundred pound armor, and my puny sling, and actually think I am outmatched.

Prayer: God, the battle belongs to the Lord. Help me act in faith. Show me the true score in the battles I face. Not the armor and weapons, but your power. Fill me with the simple faith of David.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Great thoughts, as always. And I love the photo on this one!