Friday, April 2, 2010

An Idle Tale

Scripture: But these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. Luke 24:11

Observation: Christ has risen. The disciples have seen the empty tomb, spoken to the angels. They have come back to tell the good news to the rest of the group…but they do not believe. The resurrection seemed to them like an idle tale. Except for Peter, who rose and ran.

Application: It feels odd to read about the resurrection on Good Friday. But it puts this day in focus. Good Friday is only the middle of the story that Jesus said would happen to him(he would be delivered to sinful men, crucified, and risen). And as we look forward to Sunday, we know that for some, the resurrection is an idle tale. For others, they rise and run to the truth. I feel like God is reminding me that there will be different responses to the resurrection. But what people will run and rise to is not the promise of better life, stronger marriages, fuller finances. What people will rise and run to is the power of the resurrection. I need to keep that message in the forefront of my witnessing.

Prayer: God, your resurrection is everything. Thank you that you called me to rise and run to you. I pray you help me speak more of the reality of your resurrection to those I share your name with.

No comments: