Thursday, April 22, 2010

With One Stroke of the Spear


Scripture: The LORD rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the LORD gave you into my hand today, and I would not put out my hand against the LORD's anointed. 1 Samuel 26:23

Observation: Saul is still persuing, to take his life. David learns Saul is camping in the wilderness, and sneaks over one night with Abishai. They see Saul asleep, along with all of his guards. With one stroke of the spear, Saul’s terror campaign against David would end. And even better, David doesn’t have to get his hands dirty—Abishai volunteers to do the deed himself.
But David knew better than to take the life of God’s anointed. Saul may have been a murderous jerk, but he was still the king. David had respect for the office, if not the man. Instead, he steals Saul’s spear, then calls out to him from a distance. Saul and David talk and Saul ends up apologizing for his sin and calling David to return. He would no longer chase David.
David trusted the hand of God more than his own. He knew that if he stuck to God’s ways, things would work out. He thought they would work out through Saul’s death. He had no idea Saul would end up offering peace. Doing things God’s way instead of his own brought reward. The LORD rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness.

Application: I have been discouraged lately with some struggles I am having with one of my kids. I keep stooping down to his level in our arguments. I keep trying to do the techniques and strategies from people that I see are teaching God’s way. But when they don’t work, I get frustrated and want to tell those people, “I did that and it didn’t work.” I think God is telling me today that just like David, I have a choice. I can either take things into my hands and do them my way (which may seem to solve the problem, but really only multiplies them). Or I can continue to be courageously patient, faithfully obedient, and let God do his work. God could work in Saul more than David ever could dream. God can work in my kid’s life more than I could ever dream.

Prayer: God, help me stick to your way with my parenting. Regardless of the response, let me not stoop to doing things my way. Help me keep the high road and trust you can work it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"God could work in Saul more than David ever could dream. God can work in my kid’s life more than I could ever dream."

hat's a great reminder for me. He can even do more work in ME, than I can do in myself. Thanks,Thomas. Walk with God.