Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Must Insist

Scripture: He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. (Titus 3:5-8 ESV)

Observation:
We are saved by God’s work, not ours. Paul commands Timothy to insist on this. The result of insisting on this is that people will be careful to devote themselves to good works. This seems counterintuitive. If we want to motivate people to do good, how does insisting that their good has nothing to do with God’s approval of them spur them on?

There must be something powerful about the gospel. More than human rhetoric, more than motivational speeches. Something about the simple truth that He saved us, not because of works done by us, serves as a starter pistol for a life of good works. When guilt and self-effort are off the table, the glory of the gospel can be seen.

Application: I believe He saved us, not because of works done by us. But do I insist on this? Do I insist on this in my own relationship with God? Do I insist on this with my wife and kids? Do I insist on this in my preaching? Do I insist on this with my friends and neighbors? Or do I subtly communicate that He saved us, but only due to works done by us?

I need to think more about what it means for me to insist that He saved us, not because of works done by us.

Prayer: God, it is clear that when it comes to salvation, either you get all the credit, or I try to steal some. Forgive me for foolishly thinking I contributed. It is all, beginning, middle, and end, your work in me. Help me insist on this in my dealings today.

No comments: