Sunday, July 25, 2010

Love Covers a Ton of Problems

Scripture: Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8 ESV)

Observation: When there is a foundation of earnest love, then the winds of offence are unable to shake the building.

Application: I am in the middle of a season of dealing with complaints over very minor issues. I have been getting a little weary of them, and my natural response is to say, “Billions are dying and going to hell and you are concerned about X?” But I know how unproductive that would be. I have also been gearing up to say, “Let me show you volumes of theological commentary to show you why this is this way.” But again, I am not sure that this is the right response.

Peter is jacking with my attitude with this simple plea: Love covers over a ton of problems. Maybe what I really need to ratchet up is not a fight, but love. Maybe I need to shower love and care. Oh, I still don’t want to compromise on what God is calling. But I can definitely love people. And maybe true genuine, earnest love will give a little wiggle room and cover over some offences.

Prayer: God, help love and shepherding be foremost on my mind when I am disagreed with. Give me humility and patience. I pray that PRC becomes a place of grace, where we so love each other that we can overlook a multitude of minor offences.

No comments: