Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sanctuary or Snare?

Scripture: But the LORD of hosts, him you shall honor as holy. Let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. (Isaiah 8:13 ESV)

Observation: God is teaching us that not only is he the sanctuary for those who fear him, but he is a stone of offense and a snare for those who do not. The same God of rescue can become a God of rebuke. The key is a healthy fear of the Lord. So the question is: Do I want God to be my sanctuary, or my snare?

Application: Earlier this morning, I was thinking through a decision. In this decision, I was considering all the pros and cons. Lumped in the list was a desire to please God. Yet this should not be lumped in with all the rest. Pleasing God, honoring him as holy, letting him be my fear and dread—these should propel to the top of the list. These should be the first consideration, not an afterthought. In my decision, I need to consider how I am honoring God as holy. That is a step towards fearing the Lord.

Prayer: God, forgive me for letting you be a part of my decision process, instead of the priority. You are the one I fear. Let my life in this area reflect that. Let me be able to say, “I do this because I want to honor God.” Thanks for your love for me and your grace. Help me find you to be my sanctuary.

No comments: