Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sparring with Expectations


Scripture: But if you say to me, “We trust in the LORD our God,” is it not he whose high places and altars Hezekiah has removed, saying to Judah and to Jerusalem, “You shall worship before this altar”? (Isaiah 36:7 ESV)

Observation: The King of Assyria sends an officer to taunt King Hezekiah. He asks Hezekiah where he places his trust. Then he asks, “But if you trust God, then why did you tear down all the high places and altars?” The Assyrian officer thought that all forms of worship were the same. He could not understand how Hezekiah could claim to trust God, yet destroy religious symbols. He could not see that Hezekiah tore down those idolatrous high places and altars because of God, not in spite of him.

Application: It is easy to misjudge the actions people take for God. People often have unbiblical or cultural expectations of Christianity, and when you do not live up to them, they question your faith. I face this all the time. Someone expects that if we really loved God, we would sing a patriotic song in a worship service, or support this political cause. Yet it may be precisely because of our faith in Christ that we do not. The important thing I am hearing today is that my response to these people is crucial. With graceful patience, I need to be able to calmly and without battle, explain the reason for what we do. Then, if they still don’t get it, we can agree to disagree. My problem is that I tend to take their words personally, when I should let them go. Yes, there should be the foundation of humility, and willingness to grow, to change, to reverse a decision or policy. But sometimes we need to hold the course, even if that does not satisfy the expectations of others.

Prayer: God, give me patience today. Help me not get riled up when others question my decisions. Help me be humble and really listen, and have the wisdom to seek out compromise when needed. And give me courage to stand my ground even if it disappoints. But protect my heart from ratcheting up into anger.

No comments: