Sunday, July 4, 2010

When Our High Places are Higher than Christ

Scripture: Nevertheless, the high places were not removed. The people still sacrificed and made offerings on the high places. He built the upper gate of the house of the LORD.
(2 Kings 15:35 ESV)


Observation: 2 Kings is a tragic tale of failed leadership. Basically, one king after another failed in their leadership, because they allowed (and sometimes encouraged) worship on the high places. The high places were literally higher places where altars to various false Gods stood. Instead of tearing these down and centralizing people’s worship around the one true God, these kings often failed.

Application: One test of my leadership will be: What did I do with the high places at Pulpit Rock? Oh, we have them, just like every church does. High places are where our preferences start to take the place of our priority. Our high places reveal themselves in our judgment of those who worship with different worship than we prefer. Our high places can involve the expectation that the church celebrate our Hallmark holidays, or pursue our political or social agenda. Our high places can even look spiritual, such as our expectations of preaching or philosophy of ministry. Good hearted believers, who genuinely love the Lord, can sometimes allow preferences to replace their priority, allowing high places to tower over Christ.

The book of Hebrews makes the case that Jesus is better than everything else, every ‘high place’ that we could hold. He is to be the center around which we revolve as a church. While I cannot root out every high place, nor can I be responsible for convincing and converting people, I can put Jesus first in front of our people. I can help us focus on Jesus. Maybe with a focus like this, some of the high places around us will fade. Maybe we will see that the Jesus that holds us together is more important than the differences that hold us apart.

Prayer: God, start with me. I have high places. I have ways I think things ought to be done. Help me root out the high places in my life and make sure that Jesus is the highest place in my life. Help me to lovingly but firmly stay on track, and not be swayed by the tempting high places all around us. Give me strength to keep the wheel firmly pointed towards Christ.

No comments: