Monday, September 21, 2009

And Jesus, Full of the Holy Spirit...

Scripture: And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit…And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee…The Spirit of the Lord is upon me… Luke 4:5,14,18

Observation: In Luke 4, we see Jesus relying upon the Holy Spirit. He is filled with the spirit, led by the spirit, exercises the power of the spirit, and has the Spirit upon him. The presence and power of the Holy Spirit is not just reserved for Jesus, but is a pattern for all who would follow him.

Application: I can expect that if I am filled with the Spirit, I can be led by him and used by him as well. What I need to discover is how I can be filled with the spirit. Scripture says: But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. Galatians 5:16 Walking by the Spirit is not some spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Walking by the spirit is the normal experience of every believer. This is what Paul meant back in Galatians 2:20: It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Walking by the Spirit means accepting by faith that Christ lives in me and has given me power over my passions. I can choose in every situation whether I will respond the way I want, or by the Spirit’s help, to respond the way God wants and empowers me to do. Will I daily decide to continue and trust his power in my life?

Prayer: God, As I continue to grow in my understanding of the role of the Holy Spirit, help me to follow Your example and walk by the Spirit. Thank you for your modeling of this life and your promise I can live it as well. Show me today areas where I am walking by myself and not in step with your Spirit.

No comments: