Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When I Know I Won't Catch Anything

Scripture: And Simon answered, “Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets”…And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” Luke 5:5,10

Observation: Simon had no success fishing all night, as hard as he worked. Yet because Jesus asked, he lowered the net again and caught tons of fish. Later Jesus says that if Simon will continue to follow him, he will catch men in the same way. I am sure Simon thought Jesus was crazy, or knew nothing about fishing, yet he gave it a shot anyways.

Application: There are times when Jesus’ call for me to share my faith seems like it will also be unsuccessful. Especially when I have shared and shared and felt that no men were ever “caught.” Yet instead of giving up, I need to listen to Jesus and heed his call to put my net in the water again. As crazy as Jesus leadings might be, as unsuccessful as his plans may seem to me, I need to follow him. I might be just as surprised as Simon that God will use my worn and weary nets to catch men for him.

Prayer: God, don’t let me decide ahead of time that I won’t see anyone come to Christ today. Give me the faith of Simon, even if I am tired or worn out, to take whatever shots you give me to share my faith with others.

No comments: