Thursday, September 24, 2009

Who is Worthy?

Scripture: And when they came to Jesus, they pleaded with him earnestly, saying, “He is worthy to have you do this for him, for he loves our nation, and he is the one who built us our synagogue.”… “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy…” Luke 7:4,6

Observation: Luke 7 seems to deal with the issue of worth. Jewish officials believe a centurion is worthy for Jesus to do him a favor. When Jesus comes near, the centurion waves him off by saying, “I am not worthy.” John sends word to Jesus asking if he is worthy to be the one they have waited for. An unworthy woman washes Jesus’ feet, while the religious people watch on and comment on her unworthiness. Jesus rebukes the generation for failing to recognize his worth.

Application: It seems Jesus brings a different idea of worth to the conversation. People value worth by conformity, accomplishment, adherence to expectations. Jesus values worth by humility, child-like faith, personal recognition of sin, and going in peace. Which value system mirrors mine?

Prayer: God, I confess I am more impressed by accomplishment than humility. I ascribe worth to getting it done over being at peace with God and others. I’m not sure I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness (Ps 84). Help me today to value what you value, and give worth to what you deem worthy.

No comments: