Tuesday, September 29, 2009

When I Don't Trust God

Scripture: And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you. Luke 12:29-31

Observation:
Jesus offers a simple teaching which is easy to understand and difficult to practice. Don’t worry. Don’t worry about how God will provide what you need; seek the kingdom and believe that God will.

Application: What makes this difficult is that at my core, I do not trust God. I need more than His word—I need his detailed plan. Once he shares that plan with me, then I will be able to trust him. Problem with this approach is that God needs not, and most of the time does not, share his plans with people. He shares his promise, and calls them to believe. Refusal to trust God is worry. Worry then, is a lack of faith. It is a choice not to trust.
I know I am in a place right now where I think I need to see God’s plan. I do not trust that he knows what he is doing or is able to accomplish what I think I need. This is not my responsibility. My job is to seek the kingdom and trust God knows what I truly need and will provide it at the right time.

Prayer: God, forgive my lack of faith, my worry. You know what I need. You will provide that as I seek your kingdom. Show me how to seek your kingdom today, Tuesday, so that you may add to me what I need.

3 comments:

Ken80904 said...

So.. the question begs for an answer. What is the Kingdom?

Ken80904 said...

Thomas, great blog. Your entry caught my attention. If it is exactly as the scripture stated, what we are to seek after. Then... this question begs for an answer. What is the Kingdom? It obviously can't be church or he would have said church. In the four gospels the words kingdom of God or heaven are used 117 times and church only twice. Interesting isn't it, that Jesus spoke of something called kingdom 50+ times more often than church; and, we struggle along all the while centered on church. What do you think?

Thomas said...

Good question. I agree...the goal of the church is not the church, it is the Kingdom. In its most basic sense, it is seeking after the absolute rule of God in every realm of life.