Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Judged By Deeds or Names?

Scripture: And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done…And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:12,15

Observation: One day people will be judged using these books. Either by their deeds or by their names. Either by what they have done in life, or by what Christ has done for them. This will be a pass-fail judgment. Sadly, everyone who tries to stand on his or her actions in life will perish at this judgment. Only those who stand on the act of Christ will survive.

Application: I must remember that the key to this judgment is faith in Christ. Do I believe this? Or do I think that somehow, God will grade on a curve? This passage reminds me that the only way is Jesus.

Prayer: God, thank you for delivering me from my sin and my deeds. Thank you that you wrote my name down in your book. Holy Spirit, help me to point others towards Jesus today.

No comments: