Monday, November 30, 2009

How Can I Stand on That Day?

Scripture: He will render to each one according to his works…For God shows no partiality. Romans 2:6,11

Observation: Paul is making the point that God judges us by our works. That it does not matter what your religious, racial, societal, or economic status is—in the end, we all stand on equal ground before the judgment. God is completely impartial, not having favorites, or letting some people off the hook because he likes them better. He judges solely by his own standards. Sadly, according to his standards, we are all guilty. If we try to stand before God on our own merit, we will be found guilty. And we cannot influence his decision by claiming special privilege.

Application: If this is true, then the only shot we have is mercy. That is the point of Christmas. That all of earth stands equally condemned, with no hope. But the good news is that through Christ, we have a way to stand before God. We can stand on Christ’s merit, and not our own. Our only hope at surviving judgment is Christ.

Prayer: God, I simply want to thank you for Jesus in my life. I can see how if I stood before you in judgment, I would fail miserably on my own. Yet, because of Christ, I will stand on that day, and survive. Thanks for my rescue and help me to extend that hope to others.

No comments: