Thursday, November 5, 2009

Where Shall Wisdom Be Found?

Scripture:
But where shall wisdom be found?
And where is the place of understanding?
God understands the way to it,
and he knows its place. Job 28:12, 23

Observation: Job writes a poem centering on a profoundly simple question: Where can we find wisdom? The answer is equally simple: God. If I want to know how to make decisions, set priorities, choose opportunities, discern danger, or live wisely, I need wisdom. And only God knows the way to wisdom.

Application: This Sunday, I am preaching on why the apostles devoted themselves to prayer and the ministry of the word. They knew that for the word of God to increase, for the number of disciples to multiply greatly, and for people to come to obedience to the faith, they needed to know the mind of God. The way to do that was prioritize the ministry of prayer and the word. This is behind this past year’s attempt for me to daily spend time in my devotions. I am desperate to find the wisdom I need.

Prayer: God, Forgive me for failing to honor you as the Source of all wisdom. You know what is wise for me, and as I soak my mind in your word, you show me the way. Please give me victory today as I move our church towards being people who hear from you in your word.

1 comment:

Chris and Jill said...

One of my favorite verses.

James 1:5 - If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

It seems that the world around us tries to tell us to seek wisdom from everything but God - books, talk shows, etc. James 1:5 is a good reminder to me to go straight to the source.