Thursday, November 12, 2009

While I'm Waiting for the Rain

Scripture: Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen. Job 37:13

Observation: Job’s friend is talking about the absolute power God has over creation—ordering snow to fall, breathing out ice, scattering lightening. He explains that God exercises his control sometimes to correct people, or show them his love, but sometimes just because the land needs it.

Application: Sometimes I tend to think it is all about me. That I am the only actor in the drama of life. That I am the only field needing rain. That when God is making his decisions or exercising his power, I am the top consideration. But God has a lot he is trying to accomplish through his exercise of sovereignty. Sometimes he acts in my life to correct something or refine me. Sometimes he acts to show me his love. But sometimes, he acts in my life to accomplish other things unrelated to me. That God can balance all of these things throughout our entire world of billions is a reminder of his absolute power and Godhood. So when I sometimes get impatient with His timing, when I want the rain to fall right now, I need to remember that he has other fields and purposes He is working out. He might be delaying the rain not to teach me, but because he is working on another situation or person.

Prayer: God, I trust you. It is not all about me and my timing and needs. I trust that you know my needs, I am on your radar. You are working out my life while balancing out all the other work you are doing. Please let me see your bigger picture and develop patience in your timing.

No comments: