Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Theology of Halloween Candy

Scripture: This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. 1 Corinthians 8:1

Application: Paul is writing the Corinthians about the problem of people eating food that had been offered to idols. Many of the Corinthians felt this was no problem, since they “knew” these idols were pretend and so offering food to them meant nothing (8:4). While this is theologically correct, Paul’s point is that knowing the truth can lead to arrogance, while loving others builds up the body. Instead of bragging on their theology which permitted food offered to idols, they should consider the higher call of love for their newer brothers and sisters who might struggle with seeing people eat this food.

Observation: Knowing the truth can arrogantly lead me to be insensitive to others. I so passionately defend my freedom that I can hurt my brothers. My theology might be right, but my heart might not. I could win the battle and lose the war. Recently I was handing out leftover Halloween candy on Sunday morning for fun. One guy refused the candy, saying he did not eat Halloween candy on a sacred day. Now, I *knew* that theologically, there was no problem with the candy. It was just sugar. I found myself getting a little arrogant in my heart, wanting to get into the theology of evil candy. But in light of these verses, which better served God that morning: the knowledge that the candy was okay to eat, or the love of being gracious to another person’s beliefs?

Prayer: God, let me take care that my rights do not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. Let me look with love on those who take offense at my freedoms, instead of wanting to so quickly correct them.

No comments: