Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Into the Wild

Scripture: For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9

Observation: Who would ever choose to go from rich to poor? Wouldn’t everyone who is poor rather choose to be rich? Yet Jesus chose to go from rich to poor. He gave up his resources so that others would become rich towards God.
I recently saw a movie, Into the Wild, about a young man who gave up all earthly possessions, abandoned his car, burned his money, so he could go on an adventure and find himself. He became poor for his *own* sake. Yet Jesus became poor for the sake of others. Jesus went into the wild of our planet, forsaking all his wealth.
Am I willing to become poor for the sake of others? Am I willing to give up my resources so that others might become rich towards God? What am I willing to do with the resources I have? Especially when those resources are tight. How can I become poor when I really need riches for me and my family? For the dentist, for new tires, for Christmas presents. The answer is, I can if I value others becoming rich towards God.

Application: Tonight, when I give my kids their allowance, and we set aside part to go to God, I want to show them this verse and help them see that the money they give to God helps make other people rich towards God. I want them (and me) to see the direct connect between giving up our resources and helping others come to Christ.

Prayer: God, please let me reexamine my wealth in light of what it could do to further the gospel. Show me how I can become poor(er) so that others can become richer towards You. Give me practical ways to show your love to someone this week. Help me go into the wild.

No comments: