Monday, November 2, 2009

Why Am I Really Mad At God?

Scripture: They wrong the barren, childless woman, and do no good to the widow. Yet God prolongs the life of the mighty by his power; they rise up when they despair of life. Job 24:21-22

Observation: Job is frustrated with the struggle between God’s sovereignty and the obvious injustice in the world. If God does whatever he desires and no one can turn him back (23:13), then why do those who take advantage of the poor prosper? Why do those who perpetuate injustice seem to flourish under God’s control? This is why Job is so bitter: God says he cares about injustice, yet seems to do nothing when it occurs.
But is Job really that concerned about injustice in his world, or is he using this to protest his own feelings about how God has dealt with him? Job feels he has done everything right before God, and he has been treated unjustly. This bitterness turns into a general complaint about how God deals with injustice.
So often, we get riled up over how God deals with this world when the real issue is between God and us. We hide behind theological and philosophical arguments and talk about situations half-way around the world when the real issue is: We are mad at God about *our* situation.

Application: I often find myself angry about things I see in this world, or actions of others. And I can easily characterize these things as indictments of God. But could it be that the reason for my anger is that I feel I have gotten a raw deal? Am I failing to go to God and directly deal with the issue, instead hiding behind theological and philosophical arguments about good and evil?

Prayer: God, help me look below the waterline, to see what really motivates my feelings and actions. To see if my anger is motivated by holy discontent, or a sense of personal loss. Show me what is going on in the waters of my heart.

No comments: